Back to Recipes
1 large onion, chopped
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp cayenne
½ cup vegetable stock
1½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt
1 small can tomato paste
3-4 whole cloves
3 medium zucchini
4 small yellow squash or yellow zucchini
¾ large carrots
4 medium yellow or red potatoes, skins on
1 red or green bell pepper
1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans
- Saute onion in vegetable stock over med. low heat until translucent.
- Add all spices and cook for a few more minutes, stirring as needed.
- Add tomato paste, stir and simmer 2 minutes.
- Cut the vegetables in large chunks and add all (not the beans) and a
dash of cinnamon; add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat
and simmer, covered, for an hour or so. (This can cook slowly for 2-3
hours, if desired.)
- Add the drained garbanzos about 5 minutes before you take the veggies
off the heat.
- Put couscous in a bowl. Pour boiling water over couscous and wait
about 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. (Ratio of about 1½:1 of water to
couscous.) For added flavor, add some of the liquid from the veggie stew
to the couscous in place of some of the water.
- Serve the stew over the couscous.